Thursday 2 May 2013

Can't Even Boil An Egg......?

Well, normally I can of course, if I don't decide to take curtains upstairs and then check my emails whilst I am there and go on ebay and bid on a rabbit hutch for the quail to live in and then return downstairs pretty pleased with myself to find an unpleasant smell in the kitchen, a pan with no water in and one burnt egg.

No great problem, egg is still edible and pan will clean.
I actually wanted to give you a quick update on the quail. Last time I mentioned them I was worried about Una, the one I hatched, she was not moving and I was scared she was on the way out but incredibly she has hung on. Most of the time she lay on the bottom of the brooder but she carried on eating a little and a wee later is still with us and looking a little stronger.



She is nowhere near the size of the other two and not even the size they were when I bought them three weeks ago but I'm beginning to hope that with time and patience she may catch up.  I don't know what is wrong with her, whether it is due to her being born late or if she caught a disease or if there is a genetic weakness (I was worried that her legs didn't seem strong enough to hold her up) but decided just to wait and see what happens. When I get a cage to put the others in, I think I will separate them from Una. She will be on her own then but they do keep treading on her which can hardly help. 


The other two quail, Tim and Goldie (or whatever the name will be) seem fine and healthy and regrettably male. At least I think they are, lack of experience and nothing to compare them to makes me doubtful. Still if they are female they should start laying in the next few weeks which will settle the matter.



No comments:

Post a Comment