Friday 21 June 2013

An exciting prospect!

Stress and excitement in equal parts here this morning. A few days ago I got a call on my business mobile, asking if I did wholesale? Obviously the answer was yes, or rather I would do. The couple concerned run a small shop in Harrogate and I agreed to go over this morning, to show them my stuff and have a chat. Although a big order would be nice, small regular orders would be better, so I only want them to buy what they think they can sell. Which may be none of it, although they said they were looking at stocking Burt's Bees products, but preferred mine as being local and more individual.
The stress is down to the car failing its MOT yesterday, nothing major but it will be in the garage until Saturday at the latest so the trip to Harrogate will be on public transport. My car mechanic is Tony who operates from a large yard behind his semi in the village of Swillington, about twenty minutes drive from here. He is a lovely man who always tries to find the cheapest way of doing things, once he improvised using high pressure rubber tubing to save me £100 on the new part. If I could bring him fame and fortune I would, but I suspect that he is happy as he is, with a steady flow of satisfied customers brought in by word of mouth. There are now three families in my street alone, prepared to trek out to him. And yesterday it was literally a trek as I turned out of his house in time to see the hourly bus disappearing round the corner and had to do the half hour walk to the main road where I could wait for another bus. The walk did give me the chance to walk past Smeaton House Farm home of my Gt X 7 Grandfather William Lumb who lived there in the last half of the eighteenth century. The farm is up a long drive, so I didn't see much, but there were free ranging hens wandering across the farm yard so the current occupants must be okay sorts.
Other news is that I have decided to do the Great Yorkshire Show, and posted off the application yesterday. The application included a risk assessment form so I had to rack my brains and think of what is dangerous about about soap. Of course, Cora in Downton Abbey did suffer a nasty accident involving soap but that soap was wet on a slippery floor, my soap is dry and piled in a basket on a table. The worst I could think of was that the table would collapse with all the stock on it, at the same time as a small child was passing who would get crushed to death. I began to get rather alarmed and feel that I was actually quite dangerous. I put down on the form about the possibility of the table collapsing but left out the small child. I didn't want them to think I was too dangerous to exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment