Saturday 22 June 2013

Mellow Treats leading to Handpicked Sundays

So yesterday I went to Harrogate to meet Carole Hallsted of Mellow Treats www.mellowtreats.co.uk. She was very nice and friendly, and her shop in Commercial Street is even newer than my business as it has only been open two weeks. We spent a comfortable hour swapping plans and ideas for each other. Being so new, she does not have the cash or confidence with me to place a big order, but we agreed that when I do the Great Yorkshire Show, I will leave her some stock that she will create a window display around, and we will see what interest there is.
One of the suggestions Carole had for me, was to take a look at Handpicked Hall. This was not the first time this had been suggested, Carolyn at Bramham had told me about Handpicked Hall in Ripon which is a retail space renting tables or spaces to craftspeople and independent retailers but I had dismissed it as I thought I would have to go to Ripon 5 days a week, now Carole told me that there is one just opened in Leeds so I thought I'd take a look.
Handpicked Hall in Leeds, has opened in the Grand Arcade in a building that used to be a jazz club (Coconut Grove maybe?). The Grand Arcade is a beautiful Victorian arcade next to the Grand Theatre but truthfully it has come down in the world a bit, since the seventies when I used to walk up it from my bus stop near the ABC Cinema to go to Lewis's on Briggate, stopping maybe at Scene and Heard record shop to buy the ex jukebox singles with the holes cut out of the centres. Now it looks quite off the beaten track and I hope the opening of Handpicked Halls  www.handpicked.co.uk/Leeds/will help bring people back, both for its sake and mine as I have now signed up to take a table there for the next two Sundays at £12 a day. After that I am seriously considering signing up for the three days, Friday to Sunday for £65. From the amount of people I saw around yesterday, I am under no illusions that it will make my fortune but I would like to have a regular outlet where people can find me and I would just have to take my laptop there and work in between customers.

1 comment: