Friday 11 January 2013

Oh the Business, Things are Beginning to Hum!

The title is taken from a song my mother used to sing, probably some Victorian music hall song learnt from her father. My sisters and I have all been imprinted with the songs and sayings of my grandfather to the extent that we find it impossible to leave the house in weather such as today's, without declaiming theatrically 'Cold, cold, it blows across the moor!' which isn't too bad for me in Yorkshire, but a little inappropriate for the heart of London.
To return to the matter in hand, I thought I would post an update on my plans to start a business. I have now had my official meeting to apply for the Enterprise Allowance which will give me £65 a week for 13 weeks followed by £33 a week for the next 13 weeks. Not a lot of money but every little helps. I also get a business mentor from the Chamber of Commerce although in actual fact I have been working with Donna for a few weeks now.
I am currently struggling to produce a cashflow. As my mood swings between huge optimism that everyone will love the product and complete depression over the number of soapmakers already out there and what makes me think people will want to buy mine instead, estimating sales is proving a little difficult. My first cashflow was on the ultra cautious side, Donna looked at it and said 'Don't show them that when you apply for Enterprise Allowance, they'll think you are running it as a hobby'. So now I have gone to the other extreme and am planning on selling at events (Great Yorkshire Show, Country Living Fair, Countryside Live) which would probably mean making soap non stop to keep up with demand. A balance will be struck.

No comments:

Post a Comment