Tuesday 29 January 2013

The Importance of Work?

I switched on breakfast television this morning at six whilst making my morning tea, and was in time to catch an item live from a gym, about High Intensity Training, the theory that to get fit you don't need to work out for hours just 3 minutes at full intensity.It struck me that these people were having to pay to go to a gym because they didn't have time to exercise naturally, as part of their daily lives (walking, cycling, gardening whatever). So they had got themselves into a situation, where they were earning money, for them to spend compensating themselves, for the time they had lost through earning money. In addition, they were having to go to the gym at 6 in order to fit it into their day. This madness is not for me. I know most people have to work for an employer but can't we find a way to offer more jobs at shorter hours for less pay?
One person who is happy to be going into work is my neighbour Kevin. I met him this morning on the way into his second day back at work following a devastating stroke two and a half years ago when he was in his mid fifties. Work is important to him as a way of showing that he is just  a normal person who has mobility problems and needs to use a wheelchair. Wishing him the best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment