Thursday 24 January 2013

Stocking up- Part One

So, three quarters of the way through the Super Frugal January, I have spent £49.35 on food which is good but I realize the cupboard is looking a little bare. Time to stock up. First off, I set some bread going in the breadmaker, an experimental mix of white,wholemeal and rye flour, some porridge oats and a handful of mixed seeds, with ingredients like these it will probably need a long rising time but no worries it can take all day.
Next it was off to the supermarket:



 A very satisfactory total of £8.14. The margarine and oats I will not use today , they were just needed to keep the stocks up, the mince was an impulse buy reduced to £1.04 it will go in the freezer but there are so many ways to use mince there is no danger of it languishing there.
Now to the baking, firstly  I made a batch of oatcakes. but knowing I was making a carrot cake I didn't cook them immediately but left them until the carrot cake mixture was ready so that they could share an oven. The carrot cake recipe was from here;http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/recipe-carrotcake.html?opt=rsnack and very satisfactory it was too:
 
Next, I wanted to make maltbread. At least we have always called it maltbread but it is made from a wartime recipe which contains no eggs or fat or indeed malt. It was given to my mother by Mrs Sunman of Ivydene, Collingham and here is the recipe written in my mother's recipe book. As you can tell it has been well used.

The maltbread turned out a bit lopsided but who's to care? I'm sure it won't affect the taste.
A satisfactory refilling of the cake tins for a morning's work:

 I will of course be freezing most of the carrot cake and two of the malt loaves, creating my own store of convenience food. Now for a cup of tea and a quick snack, but what to choose?


2 comments:

  1. Helen, now all the world can see how pale your so-called tea is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your malt bread like he Doreen malt loaf you buy in the shops?

    ReplyDelete