Monday 4 February 2013

A Daughter of Time

The second daughter rang me today to ask who Richard III was and why they were excited about finding his bones. This is unlike her as she is normally a pretty regular reader of the BBC news site so I had expected her to have followed the story.
I have had a soft spot for Richard III since reading A Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. Josephine Tey was a writer of detective fiction in the 40's (died 1952) and in this book her detective hero is laid up in a hospital bed and bored and starts trying to find out whether Richard III did murder the princes in the tower by going back to contemporary sources. It makes for a fascinating story presenting the point that history is written by the victors.

2 comments:

  1. Helen, in case you were wondering where it is, I have got Mum's copy of Daughter of Time, you can have it back if you like but I'm going to re-read it now having seen that prog on Channel 4 & the dramatic reconstructed Richard III - I mean, what a dish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my own copy, which I am reading again, and you are right that the first couple of chapters with the rather snobbish attitude to the nurses and the charwoman is off putting, but if you can get through that then I found the historical analysis really interesting.

      Delete