Friday 1 February 2013

Lemonade

I had a bunch of lemons sitting in the fridge left over from Christmas, bought in the delusion that we are the sort of family who might fancy a slice of lemon in their drinks. I have these delusions at Christmas, at least thank God I have fought off the delusion that someone might like to eat dates at Christmas.
So something had to be done with them, I could have made a lemon meringue pie but as only I like that it would be encouraging gluttony, I could make a lemon drizzle cake but I actually fancy cherry cake at the moment, a practical answer would be to freeze them so that I always had a lemon available in the house, but what I actually fancied was home made lemonade.
Very simple to make, take the zest of 3 lemons and put in a bowl, add the juice of 6 lemons (obviously that includes the 3 you have already zested, don't go buying 9 lemons).
 Add 6 ounces of sugar, pour on two and a half pints of boiling water, stir to dissolve the sugar and leave to stand overnight. Strain in the morning and you have your lemonade. Drink as is or pep it up and make it last longer by adding something fizzy.



 This is where I thought I'd dig out the soda syphon:





Cue daughter saying it looked like something out of the seventies. Well durr, of course it does, who bought a soda syphon after the seventies? It also looked filthy as it had sat in the back of my cupboard since the eighties. I cleaned it up, found the little gas cylinders to fire it up with, and then was foiled as I couldn't find the black plastic bit that screws the gas cylinders onto the syphon. I gave up and bought a bottle of Lidl's basic lemonade at 17p instead. Probably cheaper in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment