Sunday 3 February 2013

Sowing seeds for summer sustenance

I expect with a title like the Wood Be Good Life you were expecting this blog to be all about growing things and gardening and you were probably wondering when I was going to get on with it.
Well, today is the answer to that.Today I went through my box of seeds, removed the Thomas the Tank Engine toddler sock (don't know how that got in there) and sorted out what I could use, what needed to be thrown out and what I needed to buy.
Then I got down to it and planted two types of tomato (normal and hanging basket), peppers, onions, basil, lettuce and cress.

The tomatoes and peppers are planted in carefully accumulated empty cream cartons not only as it makes it easy to throw them away after use but because the little clear plastic lids that come with cream cartons do a really good job at keeping the warmth and moisture in the soil whilst the seeds are germinating.
Now with the exception of the onions, lettuce and cress, these seeds are all going in the airing cupboard where they will sit on the bottom shelf of the electric clothes airer until they germinate, after which they will go on the south facing windowsill of Rosie's bedroom.
I need to buy sweet pea and nasturtium seeds as I want to mix flowers and peas and beans climbing up all the fences. Also I am wondering of the practicality of starting parsnips off in bigger cream tubs and then cutting the base out when I come to plant them out. Or cut the base out now maybe?

2 comments:

  1. A lot of people start off their root veg in empty loo roll innards - then when they go in the ground, no need to faff about with taking seedlings out as the cardboard tube will biodegrade. I keep meaning to try this but forgetting to save the tubes....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this last year with carrots and it was good until it came to planting them out when they got eaten by slugs like everything else. I do have a bag full of slightly flattened toilet roll tubes ready to start again.

    ReplyDelete