Monday 11 February 2013

A new purchase!

I have just bought something new from a high street retailer. This is not my style at all. I am very much of the reduce, re-use and re-cycle brigade so my first choice for purchases is the shop attached to our waste disposal site (a fabulous place), then ebay, then if I have to buy new I search the internet for the cheapest price. On this occasion though I found myself standing in a large retailer wondering what to do. Normally I am fending off sales assistants with a polite 'Just looking thanks' but today there were none in sight. I wanted to buy a freezer and could hardly pick it up and take it to the sales desk. I did eventually manage to flag someone down who could help me.
I wanted to buy it new, so I could get the most energy efficient I could afford. According to http://www.sust-it.net/running-costs-of-old-appliances.php if my chest freezer is twenty years old, which it well might be, a new one is on average 62% more efficient . In addition the seal has gone on the old freezer causing it to let warmer air in and  start icing up within a week or so of switching it on. I knew it wouldn't be energy efficient but since switching it off I have noticed a saving of 2-4 units of electricity a day at a cost of between £80 and £160 a year. I could buy a new upright freezer to tuck just outside of the kitchen at the top of the cellar steps for £150 which is claimed to cost an average of £25 a year in electricity. It is smaller than the old freezer, but then the old freezer was rarely crammed full and if need be I can still use the old one in an emergency. For I intend to keep the old freezer, I have room in the cellar and I will use it as a mouse proof food storage place in the meantime, although I will have to remember to prop the lid up a little to allow air to circulate.
So at the moment, I have a new freezer sitting in its cardboard box in the back of my car, I'm afraid I shall have to get the Weakest Girl in Yorkshire to help me carry it in but maybe Oliver can give us a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment