Monday 18 February 2013

February Frugal Challenge -Part 3

Well the February Frugal Challenge is still going well, the spend on food since the last update has been £9.25  bringing the total spend for February up to a paltry £52.83. I have mince, sausages, meatballs and turkey steaks left in the freezer so still plenty of potential meals.
 As the point of the challenge was to see if it was worth busting my £20 a week budget in the first week of the month to take advantage of the Lidl offer of £5 off on a spend of £30. I am now into the third week and have caught up with the overall budget so the answer has been yes, it is possible to have your cake and eat it by sticking to a budget and taking discounts offered.
However...... I have been bored. I realise that I don't like planning my meals more than a week ahead, it is annoying to read a recipe and realise I won't be able to make it for three weeks as I don't have the budget for it. So I have been looking at recipes that I don't usually make but that I already have most of the ingredients for which led to me making Chicken Korma on Friday. This used Elaine Colliar's fabulous 'curry in a hurry' curry base http://mortgagefreeinthree.com/2012/05/curry-in-a-hurry/ which has left me with 6 individual portions left over in the freezer for another day, maybe to be used with yellow split peas for dal when I am on my own (Rosie doesn't share my enthusiasm for pulses or liking for curry). Elaine's recipe for korma called for 3 tablespoons of coconut powder. Now in Tesco coconut powder is £2.90 for 300g which I was reluctant to spend if I was to try to stay within budget, so instead I used desiccated coconut and ground that in my food processor as finely as it would go. I expect I could have got it finer if I had used the coffee mill but it was just for me and I wasn't bothered. So the extra ingredients I needed for the korma were, ginger, chillies and cream and cost £1.35.
I hadn't finished there though, as I fancied chapattis with them. These turned out to be ridiculously easy to make. It was simply wholemeal flour (8 oz should be enough for four people unless you are overcome with greed which you may be)  mixed with water to a soft dough, kneaded as if for bread and then divided into small balls and rolled out to the size of a plate and cooked on a griddle or dry frying pan for 30 seconds on each side. Fresh out of the pan they were far nicer than any chapatti I've had from a takeaway.
So there we are, my Friday night takeaway, the korma arranged on a bed of rice like a 1970's Vesta curry with chappatis on the side.

1 comment: