Saturday 9 February 2013

February Frugal Food Challenge - Week 2

Just a quick update to say that the FFF Challenge is going well and I have not spent anything on food this week. Meals during the week included Eggs Benedict, Turkey Schnitzel (with the Lidl turkey steaks), spaghetti (with HM pasta from the freezer) and Pasta with cheese sauce so I still have plenty of meat left. Today I think I will roast the chicken as we will probably be out tomorrow, if not we can have it cold and there will be some left for another chicken based meal either pie or risotto plus stock for the freezer. I still have two packets of turkey steaks, three packets of mince and some sausages.
The things I will need to buy before the next two weeks are up, are milk (used 6 pints in a week), bread flour (used 1 1/2 bags but not helped by interventions from the dog, first the dough and later in the week, half a loaf) and maybe oats, I have used 500g this week, I have another 500g bag unopened and about the same in  the storage jar. I will also need to buy butter, that too has been subject to ravages by dog but was also used in the hollandaise sauce for Eggs Benedict.
I have not done much baking this week so the store of cakes and biscuits has gone down but I have all the ingredients for another batch of carrot cake and am also fancying trying my hand at digestive biscuits.
So at the moment the budget of £20 for the next two weeks does not seem to be in danger.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing really well there, despite the dog's best efforts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you
    Just saw butter on offer at £1.50 for 500g so snapped up two packets, that should do for the next two weeks, dog permitting (canis volente for the latin scholars).

    ReplyDelete