Monday 11 March 2013

A Waiting Game


Today, at 10 am to be precise, the quail eggs are due to hatch. They are not automata though and a day either side of the hatch time is quite common. Three days ago I stopped turning the eggs and increased the humidity in the incubator to 75%, hence when I tried to take a photo of the eggs it is impossible to see anything due to the condensation on the incubator window.

According to the books, from the sixteenth day (Saturday) a gentle chirping noise can be heard from inside the shell. I can't say that I have definitely heard anything, but it is easy to get confused between chirping noises  from inside the incubator and chirping noises outside the window, in the garden.
Again according to the books, from the seventeenth day movement of the egg indicates that it is due to hatch. There has definitely been no movement.
All I can do is wait and hope.
Ironically as I don't go out very often, I have two events lined up for today. The first is my second attempt at screen printing, where I am due to go for two hours this afternoon. I may make Rosie stay with the eggs and text me any news. The second event, is my first monthly meeting of the Radish Readers Group tonight. Whilst it would be a shame to miss my first discussion, especially as it is discussing The Daughter of Time, if there is egg breaking activity going on in the incubator at 7.30, there is no way I'm going to leave it.
Although last year's experience of watching a chick hatch was that it took several hours and was thrilling and boring at the same time. I couldn't take my eyes off the egg, as each effort made the crack a bit bigger yet in between efforts the chick would rest for ten to fifteen minutes.
As I said, wait and hope.

1 comment:

  1. great .. research that can make learning .. especially in clarifying the picture and wait for the child ... hehe kidding .. greetings

    ReplyDelete