Thursday 14 March 2013

Requiem for a Quail

Having given the quail at least two days past their hatch date, I finally gave up on them today and decided that they weren't going to hatch.
I switched off the incubator and removed the eggs and then because I wanted to know if it was something I had done that had stopped them hatching, I decided to open the eggs and try to work out what age they had been when they died. Last year, when I tried to incubate chicken eggs, I discovered on opening the non hatching eggs that some of the chicks were fully formed and feathered but dead in the shell. I think they died because I increased the humidity too soon for them, not taking into account a power failure during the incubation.
However the quail were nowhere near that stage, rather unpleasantly they were still at the early embryo stage. I think it is likely that they died when Oliver fell on the incubator.
So I have no other option but to disinfect the incubator and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment