Friday 22 March 2013

And What Exactly Does Spring Think She Is Doing?

Where is Spring?
This is what I woke up to this morning:
It is not good enough. I think back in January, I may have said that I loved snow. I should have made that statement, time specific. I love snow from mid December to early February, if it is dry and crisp and even. I do not love snow in March when it is wet and slushy and no good for anything.
This is the end of March, we should be getting bright sunny days with a brisk wind (clothes drying days), they don't have to be warm. They should be the sort of days to encourage me out into the garden, perhaps warm enough to take my coat off after doing a bit of digging, a robin nearby watching for worms, bees flying in and out of the hive collecting early pollen. You get the picture, and it is not what I am seeing from my bedroom window. Traditionally, you are meant to plant potatoes on Good Friday, which I can't see happening this year. They also say, that you should wait until it is warm enough to sit on the plot with your bare bottom, but this is not a test that I have ever done, nor indeed do I have any plans to do so. I am okay with the beekeeper's lore, which says that hives should not be inspected before the flowering currant is in flower. At least, I would be if I knew anyone who had a flowering currant. I have 5 of the common or garden, red and black currant varieties if they will do instead.
In other news, the soap business is trundling on towards its start date. I have now applied for a stall at Leeds Farmers Market. This was delayed somewhat, by my not being able to find my passport which was required for identification purposes. My neighbour asked if this was because I am a terrorist. If I am, then I am a very ineffectual terrorist, my sole terror campaign being directed against an infestation of mice a few years ago. Likewise my mind boggles at the idea of selling enough soap for it to be worth money laundering. Still maybe they know something I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment